Monday 12 January 2015

Foxcatcher: Review

Do not google 'John du Pont' or anything related to Foxcatcher if you plan on watching it in the cinema. I say this, because I looked into the true story behind the movie beforehand, and it slightly ruins the shock meant to be achieved by the ending of the film. Considering the movie itself is a very slow-burn up until this moment in particular, finding out in advance may ruin the film for you. Thankfully, I still enjoyed it for what it was: a dark, insidious telling of an American sports tragedy. 

John E. du Pont (Steve Carell)

Foxcatcher tells the story of team Foxcatcher - a team of American wrestlers who are formed by wealthy millionaire John E. du Pont. Du Pont begins Foxcatcher after meeting with wrestler Mark Schultz, and convinces him to move to his estate in order to train for the Olympics. However, it's gradually revealed that Mr. du Pont may not be quite the coach he has claimed to be, and is actually a lonely man wanting nothing more than to see his great country shine once more. It's a rather bleak story, but one which is interesting all the same. Also, Steve Carell practically steals the entire movie as the sinister John du Pont. 

When trailers were first released for the film, many could not believe the startling transformation Steve Carell went under in order to become this infamous figure. It's truly mesmerising to merely watch him on screen when first introduced, but his incredible acting manages to keep you engaged long after. It definitely wouldn't be a stretch to say that this is Carell's best performance to date, and a stark departure from the U.S Office's Michael Scott. Carell isn't the only actor out of his comfort zone, however, as both Channing Tatum and Mark Ruffalo also deliver outstanding performances for the entirety of the film. 

Mark Schultz (Channing Tatum)

One thing that truly surprised me before seeing the film was the polarising opinions I had heard. Some people claimed that it was a "masterpiece", while others slated it for being boring and monotonous. While I can understand the latter opinion, and I'm not quite of the former, I still thought that Foxcatcher was a great movie. Of course, a lot of the film lacks even a soundtrack, and there are long periods of silence which may make some viewers uncomfortable. In my opinion though, this only engrossed me more; similar to how 2013's 12 Years a Slave utilised silences for intense effect. 

Verdict
While it didn't quite reach my high expectations, Foxcatcher was still a film well worth watching. I can completely understand those who left the cinema wholly disappointed, but I'm happy to say I am not one of them. It's far from one of my favourite movies, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it win multiple awards in the coming months. 

"Coach is the father. Coach is a mentor. 
Coach has great power on athlete's life."

No comments:

Post a Comment