Tuesday 7 May 2013

Donnie Darko: Review

Donnie Darko is a movie which I distinctly remember hearing about or seeing in shops when I was younger. It always confused me as to what the film was actually about, with the box-art not giving very much away whatsoever. The movie follows the estranged visions of a teenager named Donnie Darko (Jake Gyllenhaal) who already has problems with isolation and remaining solitary. He begins seeing a mysterious rabbit-figure who tells him the world will end in 28 days, who goes on to almost possess him to commit numerous  crimes. 

The film is very bizarre, with any scenes involving "Frank" the rabbit being particularly disturbing and dark. His appearance could result in the movie being mistaken for a horror film, with a sinister looking mask to complete the image of a nightmarish apparition. It's difficult to explain precisely what the film is about, or what order things happen in, because honestly after just watching it, I'm still rather confused about everything.

Frank (James Duval)

I will say that Jake Gyllenhaal presents the socially-isolated character of Donnie very well, really making you as the viewer want to empathize with his current state. Some of the hallucination sequences are highly engrossing, with sound and cinematography being utilized exceedingly well to create a sense of confusion and mystery. Some scenes in the movie are also pretty humorous, as I laughed out loud on a couple of occasions. 

It's just sometimes too strange to be able to keep up with. The last act of the movie in particular is filled with twists that you as the viewer are meant to take in, with an ending which I'm not too sure how to interpret. I won't spoil anything, and maybe with time I'll appreciate it far more, but as of this moment it seems far more complex than I would have thought. 

Verdict
Donnie Darko seems a lot like a film which I need to watch a few more times to properly appreciate and understand. Although at times it seems strange for the sake of it, it feels like there's a much deeper plot and collection of themes which I haven't properly grasped. As an initial verdict after the first time I've seen it though, I'll say it's unique and interesting, even though seemingly convoluted at times.     7.5/10

"I can do anything I want to, and so can you."


Thanks to Rosie Cooper for letting me borrow this movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment