Wednesday 24 April 2013

Top 10 Movie List

I've seen quite a few movies, but definitely nowhere near to all of them. The following is a list/countdown of my top 10 favourite films I have seen, bearing in mind that there are many cult classics and pop culture movies which I am yet to see. Also, I don't particularly watch any indie movies, so none will be included in this list. 

10 - Memento
Memento is a film brought to us by one of my favourite directors Christopher Nolan, following a man suffering from memory loss as he tries to track down the man who murdered his wife. The scenes are presented in a very unique order, adding to the whole experience, and making it one of the most interesting movie viewings I have ever had. 



"Memory can change the shape of a room, 
it can change the colour of a car."

9 - Back to the Future
The Back to the Future trilogy is one of my very favourites, with the original being the best of them all. It's funny, interesting and most importantly very entertaining. With extremely memorable characters and moments littered throughout. If you haven't seen any of them, you really are missing out. 


"Are you tellin' me that this sucker...is nuclear?" 

8 - Silence of the Lambs
A film which I have only seen very recently, Silence of the Lambs is still stuck in my mind. Anthony Hopkins provides the pinnacle of sinister acting, making you feel uneasy whenever he is on-screen. The only reason it is so considerably low on my list is because of the true masterpieces which surpass it, but it is definitely worthy of anybody's top 10 list. 

"Have the lambs stopped screaming,
Clarice?"

7 - Se7en
The first of a couple films by David Fincher on my list, it seemed like it would be almost criminal not to put Se7en at number seven, even though I literally saw it yesterday. It was fast-paced, exciting and disturbing, all of which perfectly combined to form the perfect crime movie. With one of the finest endings I've seen, Se7en is implanted in my mind, with no reason to move any time soon.


"WHAT'S IN THE BOX?"
6 - The Godfather
I know it seems clichéd, but The Godfather really is an exceptional example of a good movie.  What can I say that has not already been said before? It's a tale of organised crime, focusing largely on how important family is in conjunction with business. Al Pacino plays his role just as well as in The Godfather Part II, but the original just tops it for the fact that it contains the late Marlon Brando as the intimidating but highly respectable Don Vito Corleone in his elderly years. 


"I'll make him an offer he can't refuse." 

5 - The Shining
Now I'm down to my top 5, most of which could be easily changeable as they all generally are as excellent as eachother. The Shining is Stanley Kubrick showing how to perfectly direct a horror movie, with tension being amped up to unbelievable levels thanks to music and cinematography. With my very favourite role by Jack Nicholson, it stands up as a genuinely terrifying horror movie, even 33 years after release. 


"I'm not gonna' hurt ya'...I'm just going to 
bash your brains in."

4 - The Dark Knight 
The Dark Knight is probably my most viewed movie of all time, with the number of times I have seen it easily surpassing 20. It's as enjoyable the 20th time as it is the first, as Christian Bale plays a much darker vision of Batman, with the late Heath Ledger providing one of the most memorable roles ever depicted in a movie as the infamous Joker. There simply is no finer comic-book movie than The Dark Knight, and that is why it is at number 4 on my list. 


"You're just a freak...like me!"

3 - Pulp Fiction 
It was a certainty that Pulp Fiction would feature somewhere on this list, as it's one of my favourite movies of all time. The music, acting and story all compliment eachother, creating such an enjoyable experience it's hard to find anybody who doesn't at least think highly of this movie. The cast is frankly downright impressive, providing masses to an already superb movie. 


"Oh I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?" 

2 - Fight Club 
It was difficult to decide between first and second place, as both are complete masterpieces in their own right. The second movie on this list by David Fincher, Fight Club is a movie which is almost life-changing, delving deep into the human mind and featuring arguably the greatest twist in a movie I have seen. Although I'm breaking the first rule by speaking about it, Fight Club honestly is a movie which everybody needs to experience before they die. 


"How much can you know about yourself if you've
never been in a fight?"

1 - A Clockwork Orange
It's inevitable that I would put A Clockwork Orange as my number 1 film. It's just so incredibly bizarre and entertaining that it would be impossible for me not to. I'm certain that not everybody will enjoy it, in fact many would probably dismiss it as far too strange and disturbing, but I love it more than anything else I have seen. The oldest film on this list, A Clockwork Orange  was directed by the legendary Stanley Kubrick in 1971, being banned in the UK for several years due to it's extreme nature and unforgiving content. It blends different cultures so successfully, combining classical music by the likes of composers such as Beethoven with the ultra-violence depicted on-screen, A Clockwork Orange is a movie which everybody should at least give a chance. 


"Viddy well, little Brother, viddy well." 







No comments:

Post a Comment