Monday 29 April 2013

Fight Club: Review

Fight Club is a film which I originally posted about when I first started this blog, but I have yet to write a review of. As I placed it as number two on my top ten list, I thought it only appropriate that I do so. The movie was directed by David Fincher, also responsible for the twisted masterpiece Se7en, and revolves around the main character who for all intensive purposes will be called "The Narrator", played by one of my favourite actors: Edward Norton. The Narrator meets a man named Tyler Durden (Brad Pitt), who goes on to completely change his outlook on life, opening him up to what is truly his full potential, and encouraging him to leave behind his old monotonous life and "just let go."

The Narrator (Ed Norton)

It's difficult to explain why Fight Club is the incredible experience it is without spoiling anything. The main misconception is that the movie focuses on fighting, which is a fair assumption, based upon the name, but it is almost inexcusable to disregard it without delving a little deeper. About one tenth of the film contains fighting, with the remainder telling an unforgettable story of self-discovery and leaving you as the viewer to raise some questions about yourself and precisely where you think your own life is going. It's clichéd with many highly-rated films, but Fight Club really is life changing if you allow it to be. 

It'd be wrong to review the film without touching on just how exceptional the acting is. Marla, (played by Helena Bonham Carter) is the embodiment of a wasted life, counting down the days till she dies. Her life, like The Narrator's, completely changes when she meets Tyler, providing even the most depressive character in the film a new way of seeing things. Brad Pitt plays Tyler perfectly, not caring at all how people see him and being his own man, something which he encourages The Narrator to do. 

Tyler Durden (Brad Pitt)


The true reason Fight Club is so phenomenal as a film however is down to the fact it was made with the sole purpose of being watched again, thanks to the completely mind-blowing twist featured towards the end. I can't put in to words just how shocked I was after the first time I saw the film, leaving me to instantly need to see it again. If there was ever a reason to see Fight Club, the twist alone would be it. 

Verdict
I'm yet to review a bad movie, as Fight Club is practically tied as the best movie I have ever seen. It's funny, exhilarating, deep, meaningful and at times fairly hard to watch. It'll make you look long and hard at yourself, something very few films have ever done for me. If you haven't seen Fight Club, it's really about time you did, the only problem being that once you have other movies fail to bring you the same sense of awe by their conclusion.   10/10

"You've met me at a very strange time in my life." 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment